The Certificates of Italian are titles attesting the degree of communication skills in Italian as a Foreign Language. Potential recipients include foreign citizens, Italian citizens residing abroad (of Italian origin), and foreign immigrants in Italy.
No previous degree is required to take the exams.
For the administration of the exams through the Italian Culture Institutes, the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has signed agreements with the following institutions:
- Università per Stranieri di Perugia(CELI – CIC)
- Università per Stranieri di Siena (CILS)
- Università degli Studi Roma Tre (IT – ele.IT)
- Società Dante Alighieri(PLIDA)
The certification is consistent with the parameters set by the European Union’s Framework of Reference for Languages.
|Università per Stranieri di
|Università per Stranieri di
|Università degli Studi di Roma Tre||Dante Alighieri|
|CELI 5||CILS Quattro-C2||IT||PLIDA C2|
|CELI 4||CILS Tre-C1||——||PLIDA C1|
|CELI 3||CILS Due B2||——||PLIDA B2|
|CELI 2||CILS Uno B1||ele.IT||PLIDA B1|
|Level B1 Cittadinanza*||All centers. Required to acquire Italian citizenship only|
|CELI 1||CILS A2||——||PLIDA A2|
|CELI 1||CILS A1||——||PLIDA A1|
* As of December 4, 2018 (Italian law No. 132, of December 1, 2018) an adequate knowledge of the Italian language is required for obtaining Italian citizenship pursuant to art. 5 and 9 of Law 91/1992. Adequate knowledge is defined to be no less than level B1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Fulfillment of this requirement is met by the acquisition of a title/certification issued by an institution of public education/educational institution or a certification issued by an authorized/recognized certifying body.
How to take the exams abroad
Certification exams can be taken abroad. They are administered by the Italian cultural Institutes or other authorized institutions. In New York, the Italian Cultural Institute offers CILS exams (on behalf of the Università per Stranieri di Siena) twice a year – in the first half of June and in the first half of December of each year. A registration fee is required in order to take the exam. More information are available at the Universita’ per Stranieri di Siena web site.
Exam dates in 2023
– 5 dicembre, 2023, TUTTI i livelli – Iscrizioni dal 11 settembre al 13 ottobre 2023
– February 15, 2024, B1 Cittadinanza level only – Registration from December 1, 2023 to January 6, 2024
– April 11, 2024, B1 Cittadinanza level only – Registration from January 30 to February 28, 2024
– June 5, 2024, all levels (A1, A2, B1, B1 Cittadinanza, B2, C1, C2) – Registration from March 13 to April 14, 2024
– July 18, 2024, Cittadinanza level only – Registration from April 24 to June 9, 2024
– October 17, 2024, Cittadinanza level only – Registration from August 1, to September 8, 2024
– December 5, 2024, all levels (A1, A2, B1, B1 Cittadinanza, B2, C1, C2) – Registration from September 11 to October 13, 2024
All documents must arrive exclusively during the registration period specified for each exam listed above.
General instruction for CILS exam registration:
- Applicants must send a filled-out Application Form, a photocopy of an ID (passport or driver’s license), and a check or money order for the registration fee corresponding to the level of the exam one wishes to take. Please be aware that personal data (e.g. family name, etc.) on the application form must be completed and match the I.D.
- Applications materials must be sent to the Italian Cultural Institute, CILS Exam, 686 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065.
- Checks or money orders should be made payable to Istituto Italiano di Cultura, 686 Park Avenue, New York, NY, 10065- For: CILS exam.
- All documents must be delivered at the Istituto Italiano di Cultura by the deadline specified above
- Applicants will receive an acceptance email once the registration is completed.
Important: Please be advised that seats are limited. Acceptance is on a first-come-first-serve basis. Exams take place with a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 18 applicants. If there are fewer than 8 applications, the exam will not take place and the fee(s) will be refunded. Registration stops when we reach the number of 18 applicants.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the date and/or format of the exam may change according to either NY State, Consulate General of Italy and/or University of Siena guidelines. Registered candidates will be notified promptly IF changes occur. Additional precautions will be taken to assure the safety of everybody and will be detailed in the instruction email sent before the test.
Test samples from the University of Siena:
Levels: A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2
Level: B1 Cittadinanza only
Important information for the day of the exam.
The test will take place at the Italian Cultural Institute (686 Park Avenue) and you must be in person. Details reguarding the exam day will be sent directly to each student once the registration is completed.
|Level||Fee||Fee for each proficiency *|
|UNO B1 Cittadinanza||$120.00|
* Applicable to test(s) not passed in a previous exam.
Registration fees are NOT refunded unless the session is canceled due to the lack of a sufficient number of applications.